Leap of faith

This blog is a huge leap of faith for me...so please be kind!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The story behind Formdivine

If you've known me for any length of time you've probably seen or heard the word 'formdivine' attached to my name. I've used it as a username and/or screename for multiple internet uses over the years.  It has become a bit of a mantra for me and it all stems back to a story my good friend Amy told me years ago and it goes like this...

When one of her aunts was about 3 years old, she came out of her bedroom, wearing nothing but the good Lord gave her, threw her arms up in the air and declared "This is my form divine!".

I love it!! I loved it then and I love it now!  Why can't we all have this attitude?? Why can't we (especially us girls) look at ourselves and say this?

Yesterday I was feeling pretty good.  I've lost 20 pounds in 2 months and I'm finally starting to see some results other than the scale.  Mostly, my clothers are fitting better...woo hoo!! So I go into Target after my workout feeling like hot stuff and decide to peruse the clearance racks.  I find a couple of shirts I want to try on and as I'm standing in the dressing room I catch a glimpse of myself in the 3 way mirror. OMG!! My calves look like elephant legs, my butt looks like two watermelons are shoved down my pants and I have 3 layers of wavy rolls going up my back!  I was devastated! In an instant I went from joy to nausea.

I quickly wrapped it up and vowed not to go back into a dressing room until I've lost at LEAST another 50 pounds.  However, after I calmed down, I had to say to myself...this is my form divine! Whether I'm a size 22 or size 6, this body is used for good!  I hold my children with this body; I love my husband with this body, I walk my dog with this body; I help sick people with this body.  This IS my form divine!!  It was 20 pounds ago, it is now and it will be when I reach my weight goal.  My weight DOES NOT determine my worth! (even if my culture says it does)

So come on...go strip naked, raise your hands high above your head and say it with me...

2 comments:

  1. Oh my word! I love this and hope I can start saying this to myself, regardless of the number on the scale (that I only get brave enough to step on once a month)! Thank you for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely not there now, but I am with you on this journey! As someone who has had some success--and then threw it away--I can only relate to your hopes and dreams, and fears of failure, all too well. And for the first time in my life, I am happy to say that I have more faith in what God can do rather than on my own strength. I believe that this difference is the key to truly being successful!!!

    ReplyDelete