Words are funny things...they can make or break my day. Lately two phrases in particular help me get through workouts and stay focused on healthy food choices. The phrases are "I got this" and "I don't eat that"; both of which come from my new friend and trainer Cassi. She introduced me to "I don't eat fill (in the blank)" whether it be brownies, McDonalds, or whatever else is looking delicious at the moment. I kind of chuckled when she first shared this self-talk method of avoiding bad choices, but I have found myself starting to use it! The first time I said it to myself I was driving by a Wendy's and REALLY wanted a jr. bacon cheeseburger (or 2). After I shot a quick prayer asking God to keep my foot on the gas pedal I heard my self say "I don't eat Wendy's!". Did my craving magically disappear? Nope, but I didn't stop, and lo and behold, I didn't miss it. Will I ever eat another jr. bacon cheeseburger (or 2)? Yep, probably...but not right now. So now I find myself muttering it to myself on a regular basis and am beginning to enjoy beating my urges into submission.
The second phrase is something I've been hearing from Cassi since I began training with her. Whenever I am to a point in my workout that I feel like my muscles are literally going to tear from my bones I hear her say "You got this!". Seemed simple and certainly not something I expected to stick with me, but after hearing it over and over and over (I frequently think I'm going to die when I workout with her) I have found it quite empowering.
I GOT THIS!! I OWN IT!! IT IS MINE!!
What is "it" you ask??? "It" is way more than it seemed at first. At first I thought...OK, I got this last rep or I got this last minute on the elliptical. But the more I heard it and the more I said it to myself the more "it" became my confidence, my health, my future!
Seemingly insignificant words that have turned out to be quite significant.
My current mantras!
I like this, and I hope you don't mind me adopting those phrases as my own (I know you don't!)My current phrase needed is "I don't eat...AT NIGHT! Ugh! I will be great all day, and nine o'clock rolls around, and you'd think I hadn't eaten in months! Talk about frustrating! I get it right through the day I am amping up my workouts. I am doing devos int eh morning. I am praying throughout the day. Why can't I stay faithful at night?! (I am hoping that this confession helps to move me to change this.) SO I am going to try to remember this phrase and tell myself when I feel like I just can't live without another bite..."C'mon, Amy. You don't eat at night!"
ReplyDeleteI think I may also need to borrow the phrase, "You got this!" as I head out tomorrow morning to go trail running/hiking with Bob and his friends. I've been on the trail with just Bob but not with his friends. I am also still really sore from a sculpting workout I did Wed. morning. (Yes, it is Friday night. What was I thinking?!)I am just stepping out in confidence and taking my exercise to a new level.
I can get this right this time. I CAN meet my goals! I Got this!!!