Leap of faith

This blog is a huge leap of faith for me...so please be kind!

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Intentional Living

One of the biggest learnings I've encountered over the past few months is how important it is to live with intention.  I've been intentional with money, parenting, school, relationships; but for some reason I never realized how important it was to be intentional about my health.  The result?? unintentionally doubling my weight; unintentionally damaging my self-esteem; unintentionally teaching my daughters to have no self-control; unintentionally inhibiting my sex life and the list could go on and on and on!

Eating right and exercising must absolutely be done on purpose!  Because I don't ever remember a day that I just stumbled onto my elliptical and started going or my dumbbells appeared in my hands.  I also don't recall a time that the perfect chicken and veggie dish was prepared for me on accident or my water for the day miraculously made it into my body.  These are all things I have to make a conscious decision to do every day.  These are all things that I have to control. 

I got so distracted the other day at work when I was sitting in a meeting with a huge bowl of Halloween chocolates in front of me.  I barely remember what we talked about but I absolutely remember what I was saying in my head..."don't eat one, don't eat one, don't eat one!"  Would one piece have destroyed my whole day or week of health?  Nope, but I know myself well enough to know that I wouldn't have had just one. As soon as I saw that bowl of candy I had to make a decision immediately that I was not going to eat one. (or 2 or 5 or 10)  I walked out of that room very pleased with myself!  Mostly because there was a day not long ago that I would've shoved a handful in my pocket and eaten them all the way home without even being aware that I have consumed a few hundred calories of useless sugar and fat.

Intentional living = fewer regrets...at least that's the way it seems to me.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, and I would love to catch up more over the phone when you have time. This weekend is crazy busy for us...but maybe soon!

    ReplyDelete