Leap of faith

This blog is a huge leap of faith for me...so please be kind!

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A New Focus

This blog's primary focus has been on physical health; on fitness, weight, and body image which in and of themselves are not bad. However, my life has recently hit a brick wall. A brick wall of doubt, uncertainty, disillusionment and brokenness. The details surrounding the brick wall are personal and private, but my health remains the focus of my life after hitting said wall, only it's not my physical health at the forefront of my mind.

Instead it is my spiritual, emotional, mental and relational health I am currently striving to improve.

I have recently begun a hiatus from life if you will and during this time to myself I've decided to read some books recommended by a trusted friend. The one I started today has prompted this post because if I have been even a HINT of inspiration for anyone to be motivated to physical health I am compelled to share what I was moved by today...

The name of the book is "Ruthless Trust" by Brennan Manning and if you're interested in an intellectual read by a great storyteller I highly recommend this book.

My takeaway?  Gratitude. Gratitude. Gratitude.

"Ruthless Trust" describes gratitude as having 4 characteristics.. it is Inclusive, Attentive, Contagious, and Theocentric.

A few thoughts on each...

  • Inclusive - We must be grateful for our WHOLE story, not just the good parts.
  • Attentive - Without staying attentive and aware we may miss the very things that are in our lives that we should be thankful for.
  • Contagious - Grateful people are a delight to be around ..."The root of joy is gratefulness... It is not joy that make us grateful; it is gratitude that makes us joyful." - Brother David Steindl-Rast
  • Theocentric - This characteristic of gratitude is anchored in trust that there is Someone to be thankful to.
So what's the opposite of gratitude? Grumbling. Life's grumblers live in a state of self-induced stress (think Squidward). They feel cheated and whine at life's "unfairness".

So my question is are you grateful or a grumbler? Do you slow down enough in the day to day to truly look around and take in all there is to be grateful for? If not... DO IT! 







3 comments:

  1. Profound and thought-provoking. I think I need to grab a copy of that book as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Subscribing.
    Praying for you.
    And I think I am both a grumbler and grateful... depends on the circumstance. I don't like to take sides :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It is not joy that make us grateful; it is gratitude that makes us joyful."

    Excellent encouragement for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete