I was on the phone yesterday with a fellow sister who's struggling and we were talking about strategies and battles with food. At one point in the conversation I told her that with her eating habits ALONE she could easily drop 10lbs. by the end of the year and how great that would make her feel. At which point she replied "The weight I would be at in 10 lbs. is nothing to celebrate."
Wow!! She hit the nail RIGHT on the head for how I've felt so many times in the past. For instance...If I weigh 190lbs and lose 10 to become 180lbs, whoopty do!! I'm still 180lbs and I want 130lbs. I, and it sounds like others, are so intensely focused on the number we want to see that we fail to realize the stepping stones you have to jump on to get there.
If someone would have told me years ago that I'd be excited to see the weight on the scale I am today I would have puked in my mouth. Seriously. Know this...I am not excited to see that number. I am excited to know that it's 35lbs less than it was 3 months ago. That is something worth celebrating. With that thought, I realized that I have had to make a conscious choice to view my progress that way.
So don't look at what you haven't accomplished yet...look at what you have accomplished and celebrate that!!
"So don't look at what you haven't accomplished yet...look at what you have accomplished and celebrate that!!"
ReplyDeleteThanks for the reminder. I wish I was in Kenosha to work out with you. You could be my Jillian. haha! Proud of you!